Today is a beautiful day in the deep south, just a bit blustery, but perfect for sitting out in the rocker on the porch, tucked away in a sheltered sunlit nook. With a view of a couple of pet chickens scratching away for tasty morsels under the tree of an ornamental pear, and the family dog basking in the radiant heat with me, what more could be missing from this serene moment of time? I know, how about a nice cup of herbal tea?
Back in the house I set out to prepare this missing piece. Upon learning of the health benefits, I had recently purchased some dried nettle leaf and wanted to give it a try, so I used my stainless steel mesh tea ball, and scooped out of the bag, about 1 1/2 teaspoons of the dried nettle leaf. I placed the tea ball with the nettle leaf in the cup of hot water and let it steep for about three minutes, dunking it up and down, and then I added two drops of liquid Stevia. That's all there was to it.
Now back out on the sunlit nook, sipping my tea in this serene place, made it all the more savory. I enjoyed this experience and it has made me want to try other herbs, not only single herbs, but maybe a few in combination. The field is wide open for experimenting as we have over 10,000 herbs on earth, according to Answers.com! Learn your own biochemical individuality and try to find the herbs that match your specific needs and enjoy playing a part in revitalizing your health.
Do you suffer from inflammatory problems such as arthritis, rheumatism and gout? Do you need help with urinary tract infections? Do you need extra vitamins A or B? What about expectant mothers; their need for folic acid? Then nettle leaf just might be the herb of your choice for your biochemical individual needs.
I recently watched the popular Dr. Oz show, and was interested in the three day cleanse drinks that he was talking about on the show that day, so I decided to give it a try. My husband and I both did this together, which makes it so much easier, since we are eating the same thing. The Dr. Oz 3-Day Detox Cleanse consists of blended drinks containing many fruits and vegetables, along with some healthy fat, as well. I will tell you of our experience in my post below, and at the end, I will share some helpful tips, along with the results we had. Go to the Dr. Oz website where you can print out one sheet of directions with shopping list.
Photo Credits: Mango, Blueberries, Coconut Water, Kale, Lemon Juice, Avocado, Cayenne Pepper, Flax Seed
1. When shopping for your ingredients, remember to take into account the items that are on the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen list according to the EWG's Shopper's Guide. That means to keep the pesticide exposure low, you should buy organic when it comes to the apples, celery, spinach, blueberries, cucumbers, and kale. But you can buy conventionally when it comes to the rest of the ingredients.
2. A drink for breakfast, lunch, and dinner are called for on this program with an additional drink of your choice as a snack. I did not know which drink we would like the best so I did not buy extra for that extra drink of the day so we did not have but three drinks per day. The Dr. Oz shopping list does not include the extra ingredients you would need for this drink since of course, they do not know which one you will pick. So take this into account if you want to purchase extra ingredients for this drink.
3. Prepare all your vegetables in advance by washing them all and having ready to make.
4. If you can't find some of the organic fruits, check the frozen fruit section. These work great.
5. Start your blender off slow to mix all, and then increase to full speed.
6. To the drinks, I added 4 drops of Liquid Stevia. We liked this added sweetness.
7. If too many carbs are an issue, then cut back on the fruit content and rely a little more on the liquid stevia for sweetness.
8. Don't be discouraged if you can't do three days - how about trying just one day?
9. The detox bath called for in the cleanse was nice. Since we take showers, I only did this one night, but did enjoy it.
It's just not fair that men who eat the same thing as women will lose more weight. Jealously, I report that my husband lost 5 pounds. I lost one. We both felt good and energized on this cleanse.
This post is featured on GNOWFGLINS, Simple Lives Thursday
Debbie Vail, NC
Greetings from east central Alabama and welcome to my site. I am a graduate of Hawthorn University, a leader in holistic education.
See more about me and my educational experience.
Please see my resources page for your supplement needs