| || |
1 cup water
1 cup raspberries
1/4 cup spinach
1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
1 Tbsp. almond butter
2 Tsp. lemon juice
This is the drink that was made from the above ingredients. The breakfast and dinner drinks were our favorite drinks. I do not think that I could have gotten a good smooth blend without my Vita-Mix Blender. It does the best job. I also enjoy my Cuisinart Citrus Juicer. I juiced the whole bag of lemons and bottled it for fast use in these drinks. I think it is best to purchase whole flax seed and grind as you need, instead of purchasing already ground flax seed. Doing this will reduce nutrient loss that occurs with time after the seed is ground. Grind the seed in a coffee grinder before adding to blender. See bottom of this post for equipment I used.
| || |
4 celery stalks
1 cup kale leaves
1/2 green apple
1/2 lime (juice)
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1/2 cup almond milk
1 cup pineapple
This was our least favorite drink but it was still good. All the drinks actually make more than a glass full and this one is nearly two glasses full. I had to cut back on the amount of celery called for as well as the cucumber since mine were very large and this helped with the texture of the drink. The recipe calls for almond milk but we substituted coconut milk for this. I did not know if the recipe called for the whole lime or just juice, but I used just the juice. To boost sweetness I added four drops of Liquid Stevia.
| || |
1/2 cup mango
1 cup blueberries
1 1/2 cup coconut water
1 cup kale
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1/4 Tsp. cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
In this drink, the fibrous mango gave a texture to the drink that felt like tiny hairs. We did not like this so we substituted either pineapple or banana for the remainder of the days. I think that if you do not cut the mango too close to the seed you may not get the fibrous hairs. Eating the mango by itself does not produce a texture of hairs in your mouth but it did when blended in this drink. We also used Zico Coconut water as pictured. We thought we would not like the cayenne pepper in this drink, but was pleasantly surprised, as it imparted a spicy taste, but not too hot. Instead of 1/4 avocado, we used 1/2, since that way we did not have to refrigerate any unused avocado, as it quickly turns brown once cut.
1. When shopping for your ingredients, remember to take into account the items that are on the Dirty Dozen and Clean Fifteen list according to the EWG's Shopper's Guide. That means to keep the pesticide exposure low, you should buy organic when it comes to the apples, celery, spinach, blueberries, cucumbers, and kale. But you can buy conventionally when it comes to the rest of the ingredients.
2. A drink for breakfast, lunch, and dinner are called for on this program with an additional drink of your choice as a snack. I did not know which drink we would like the best so I did not buy extra for that extra drink of the day so we did not have but three drinks per day. The Dr. Oz shopping list does not include the extra ingredients you would need for this drink since of course, they do not know which one you will pick. So take this into account if you want to purchase extra ingredients for this drink.
3. Prepare all your vegetables in advance by washing them all and having ready to make.
4. If you can't find some of the organic fruits, check the frozen fruit section. These work great.
5. Start your blender off slow to mix all, and then increase to full speed.
6. To the drinks, I added 4 drops of Liquid Stevia. We liked this added sweetness.
7. If too many carbs are an issue, then cut back on the fruit content and rely a little more on the liquid stevia for sweetness.
8. Don't be discouraged if you can't do three days - how about trying just one day?
9. The detox bath called for in the cleanse was nice. Since we take showers, I only did this one night, but did enjoy it.
It's just not fair that men who eat the same thing as women will lose more weight. Jealously, I report that my husband lost 5 pounds. I lost one. We both felt good and energized on this cleanse.
This post is featured on GNOWFGLINS, Simple Lives Thursday